Close

The Old Church

Originally Built in Italy, Texas, 1895

Home of Wilson Seafood – Fresh Seafood and Cocktails

Renderings

Coming Soon..

Specifications

The Old Church

Summary

The Old Church, once known as The First Christian Church located at 319 Poplar Street in Italy, Texas, is an example of fine craftsmanship and architecture popular in 1890 when the church was founded.

Details
  • 1 Story
  • more info coming soon..

Floor Plans

The Old Church

Placeholder – Actual Floor Plans coming soon.

History

Built in 1890

A news article published in Italy News Herald on its Fiftieth Anniversary, Dec. 15, 1939, stated, “The First Christian Church of Italy will be celebrating its fiftieth birthday next year. The Church has been serving the community in one way or another since 1890. However, according to other records, the group that formed the church began functioning as an organized body of worshipers as far back as 1875. At that time they met in the old community school house known as the “Buttermilk School House.” It was used as a school all week and served as a church meeting place for various denominations on Sunday.

More of the Story

When the South Italy school house was built the congregation carried on its work there and in 1890, transferred its activities to the building in Italy, Texas that has now been relocated to Founders Row in Midlothian, Texas. The building was completed the following year in 1891, and at that time, the church took the name, The First Christian Church of Italy, and was been known by that name until it moved to Founders Row and was shortened to The Old Church. Names of the original charter members include: the John Couch family, the Jim Couch family, the George Stroud family, the S. M. Dunlap family, the George Hamlett family, the Will Jennings family, the Willis Pruitt family, the Dr. A. B. Robuck family, the H. A. Erwin family and the Tom Johns family.

Source: Ellis County TXGenWeb. All Rights Reserved.

The tenant in The Old Church is

Wilson Seafood

Fresh Seafood and Cocktails

Wilson’s Seafood has its roots in the legacy of the late and renowned foodie, David C. Wilson Sr. who believed in serving his staff, customers and community. Starting as a waiter he worked his way up to general manager at Brennan’s in New Orleans and later went on to leadership roles with Brennan’s in Dallas, Applebee’s, Spaghetti Warehouse, Rockfish and finally his namesake restaurant, David’s Seafood in Cedar Hill, Texas. His son Shawn Wilson and his two brothers now plan to continue their father’s legacy as Wilson’s Seafood at Founders Row serving up the kind of delicious fare for which their father was so well known.

Learn More